Friday, July 7, 2017

Hot Home Design Trends

   

     Fashion and design trends are always changing, which can make it nearly impossible to stay on top of them. When it comes to design trends in your home it gets even harder because changing a design trend isn't as easy as changing a blouse. New furniture, paint, kitchen remodels can all be very costly. If you are like me, you probably don't change your home design very often. I've lived in my home for 18 years and just recently had the interior painted for only the second time. So when I make a change I tend to focus more on what I like instead of what the current trend is. Of course, it is still fun to look at current trends and see if there's anything I like that I can incorporate in my home. And if there's nothing to incorporate, there's usually something I can look at and say "That's a trend? That's so ugly" 

    Here's a list of the top home decor trends of 2017 according to elledecor.com. I'd love to hear what you think about them in the comment section.

1 - Bright Green - Yep, that's right go ahead and paint your room a bright cheery green because "Greenery" was named the 2017 Pantone Color of the Year! (Honestly this is one of my "That's so ugly" but hey to each their own.

2 - Butterflies - Apparently the butterfly isn't designated just to the kid's room any longer. It is making it's way into the overall decor as well. I'd recommend being careful about overdoing it though.

3 - Mixed Patterns - I've been doing this for years, but it looks like now it is finally ok. ☺ Go ahead and have some fun with that bedroom comforter. Stripes, polka dots, etc, mix them all.

4 - Faux Finishes - Faux finishes can not only be budget friendly, but often times more reliable than the real thing. Faux wood ceiling beams for instance won't rot or bend. You might also start seeing more of the engineered quartz, faux leather and more. 

5 - Navy is the New Black - This can be in an accent color or kitchen cabinets but anywhere black would have been, expect to see navy taking over.

6 - Artisanal Instead of DIY - We all know how Pinterest has taken over the world (almost) and made DIY projects a huge part of home decor. But according to elledecor.com we can expect to see the trend move away from DIY to more Artisanal pieces. Pieces that take a very specialized skill to create. Think blown glass, elaborate wood working, etc

7 - Raw White - Think chalky white and bone white here. Expect to see this in decor pieces such as vases, etc. It looks simple and clean.

So there you go. Some of the top home decor trends of 2017. What do you think? Do you already have a bright green wall with butterflies on it? Or how about Navy kitchen cabinets with some raw white canisters on the counter? What trends can you picture in your home and what would never make it in your home? I'd love to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment